The university was founded in 1796 through the will of John Anderson, professor of Natural Philosophy at the University of Glasgow, who left instructions and the majority of his estate to create a second university in Glasgow which would focus on “Useful Learning” – specialising in practical subjects – “for the good of mankind and the improvement of science, a place of useful learning”. The university later named its city centre campus after him.
In 1828, the institution was renamed Anderson’s University, partially fulfilling Anderson’s vision of two universities in the city of Glasgow. The name was changed in 1887, to reflect the fact that there was no legal authority for the use of the title of ‘university’. As a result, the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College was formed, becoming the Royal Technical College in 1912, and the Royal College of Science and Technology in 1956 concentrating on science and engineering teaching and research. Undergraduate students could qualify for degrees of the University of Glasgow or the equivalent Associate of the Royal College of Science and Technology (ARCST).
Under Principal Samuel Curran, internationally respected nuclear physicist (and inventor of the scintillation counter), the Royal College gained University Status, receiving its Royal Charter to become The University of Strathclyde in 1964, merging with the Scottish College of Commerce at the same time. Contrary to popular belief, The University of Strathclyde was not created as a result of the Robbins Report – the decision to grant the Royal College university status had been made earlier in the 1960s but delayed as a result of Robbins Report. The University of Strathclyde was the UK’s first technological university reflecting its history, teaching and research in technological education. In 1993, the university incorporated Jordanhill College of Education.
The university has grown from approximately 4,000 full-time students in 1964 to over 20,000 students in 2003, when it celebrated the 100th anniversary of the laying of the foundation stone of the original Royal College building.
In July 2015, Her Majesty The Queen opened the University of Strathclyde Technology and Innovation Centre
16 Richmond St, Glasgow G1 1XQ, United Kingdom
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Science
- Humanities & Social Sciences (HaSS)
- School of Applied Social Sciences
- School of Education
- School of Government & Public Policy
- School of Humanities
- School of Law
- School of Psychological Sciences and Health
- School of Social Work and Social Policy
- Strathclyde Business School
- Accounting and Finance
- Human Resource Management
- Hunter Centre for Entrepreneurship
- Management Science
- Marketing, The Department of
- Strategy and Organisation