The university owes its first origins to the Schools of Art and Science established in Reading in 1860 and 1870. In 1892, the College at Reading was founded as an extension college by Christ Church, a college of the University of Oxford. The first President was the geographer Sir Halford John Mackinder, and the college’s first home was the old hospitium building behind Reading Town Hall. The Schools of Art and Science were transferred to the new college by Reading Town Council in the same year.
The new college received its first treasury grant in 1901. Three years later it was given a site, now the university’s London Road Campus, by the Palmer family (connected with the firm of Huntley & Palmers). The same family supported the opening of Wantage Hall in 1908 and of the Research Institute in Dairying in 1912.
University of Reading
PO Box 217
- Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Science
- Faculty of Life Sciences
- Faculty of Science